Halloween is nearly here and we are more than happy to start getting creative from fun crafts to colorful Halloween cupcakes like the ones I’m sharing with you today.
For the frosting coloring and cake coloring, I used Betty Crocker’s Neon Gel Coloring. I like using gels because they are older and don’t take near as much as the old dyes. Try making different colored cake batter and layering. The kids loved when I did that with these cupcakes.
EASY HALLOWEEN CUPCAKES
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening (softened butter can be substituted)
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven too 350° F
- In a medium bowl mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl beat butter on a medium speed, and gradually add sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, then add water.
- Gradually add the mixed dry ingredients.
- Once combined and if you want to make different color cupcakes, pour batter in separate bowls and add gel coloring and mix.
- Line cupcake pan with colorful paper cups and pour batter evenly into a tin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool and frost.
For the frosting, I usually use the buttercream recipe from Betty Crocker. You can, of course, use a boxed cake mix and a can of frosting. If you decide to use a can of frosting, you may want to mix in some powdered sugar. It will be too soft otherwise.