Is My House Making Me Sick

A home is normally considered a safe haven, but what happens if you feel sick every time you spend a lot of quality time there? Is there something in your home that could be making you sick? Sadly this can be the case. Below are a few of the biggest culprits that cause illness while hanging out at home.

Mold And Mildew

Leaks around door and window frames, leaking water pipes and cracks in foundation are just a few of the ways that water can infiltrate the home and set up problems with mold and mildew. A little moisture, shade and heat are the only ingredients needed to start a mold or mildew issue that is tough to get rid of. Mold and mildew can cause breathing difficulties and at times make your eyes red and puffy. Use a mixture of half vinegar and half water to destroy mold and mildew spores. Have any water leaks fixed right away.

Dust And Mites

Dust has a way of touching off allergic reactions in many people and can make breathing difficult for anyone that has serious asthma. Most people dust regularly, but it is a chore that needs done daily for those that are extra sensitive. Mites are another concern. They are small living parasites that live on bedding, furniture, mattresses, carpets and drapes. Vacuuming and washing linens in hot water each week helps keep them under control.

Proper Air Filtering

90% of the irritants that can make you sick in the home is as easy as using the right air filtering system. Filtering out air impurities is a fast way to start feeling better if you suffer from chronic sneezing, coughing and wheezing. All filters should be replaced every 6 months. It is important to locate the right air filter sand change whenever your symptoms begin to reappear.

Cleaning Chemicals

Harsh chemicals like ammonia may seem good for cleaning, but some can be hazardous to breathe in on a regular basis. Certain citrus and pine cleaners can become formaldehyde when introduced to the right humid conditions. Try and use more environmentally safe products for cleaning around the house.

Pesticides And Bug Sprays

Killing bugs indoors and outdoors can backfire and cause illness inside the home. You can often drag pesticides in from outside on clothing or gardening utensils. Spraying bugs indoors can leave trace amounts that enter the skin when touched or the lungs when breathing in the fumes. Any of these types of chemicals can cause serious health problems. Keep areas well ventilated after bug spray has been used. Wash everything down well. Always change your clothes after working in the garden, especially if you know you will have contact with pesticide residue.

Bathmats And Entry Rugs

Moisture loves to lurk under bathmats and entry rugs. It is where a lot of wet feet and shoes get put to drip dry. All of this water has to go somewhere. Wash these rugs frequently to keep down on the buildup of bacteria and mold that can start.

The Refrigerator

The drip pan under a refrigerator is the perfect area for mildew and mold growth. The cool, damp air and water mix to form the perfect vessel for the growth of mold that can have you hacking and coughing unexpectedly. Clean this area of the home often and you will avoid this hidden problem.

Radon Gas

Radon is radioactive gas that seeps up from the earth and lurks in basements or crawlspaces. It will eventually enter the home through floors and cracks in the walls. It is known to be cancer causing and you should have your home tested at the time of purchase, with a periodic check over the years. Read more about this here. This is one thing you do not want to ignore since it is odorless and tasteless. Testing is the safest option.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.